SOURCE: UCONN Magazine
History professor Manisha Sinha’s history lessons tell the truth about slavery in the United States.
SOURCE: The New Yorker
by Jelani Cobb
Blaming violence in Chicago on the Democratic Party or welfare is nonsensical.
The 13th Amendment states: “Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.”
SOURCE: The Atlantic
by Ta-Nehisi Coates
Kanye West wants freedom—white freedom.
His name: Ulrich B. Phillips, Columbia University history professor at the turn off the 20th century.
by Kate Clifford Larson
I’m a Harriet Tubman historian. There’s a lot that West got wrong.
SOURCE: Time Magazine
The history’s more complicated than he realizes.
SOURCE: The Root
by Elon James White
Wearing a symbol of hate and calling it artistic integrity proves that the rapper is more ignorant than many already thought he was.
- Top Ten differences between the Iraq War and Trump’s Proposed Iran War
- Woodrow Wilson Foundation Releases Findings on Why Americans Don't Know History
- How will Obama be remembered? A massive new oral history project will help shape his legacy.
- 30 Years Later, Making Sense Of The MOVE Bombing
- They Resisted Hitler. They Were Executed. At Last, They Lie at Rest.
- Historians Argue That The History Major Won’t Go the Way of the Dodo
- Tenure, Twitter and Taking Her Board to Task
- The new Statue of Liberty Museum is a quiet paean to America’s embrace of immigrants—but what is there to celebrate?
- McCullough’s new book on pioneers’ history draws criticism
- What to Do With Richmond’s Confederate Statues