SOURCE: UCONN Magazine
History professor Manisha Sinha’s history lessons tell the truth about slavery in the United States.
SOURCE: The New Yorker
by Jelani Cobb
Blaming violence in Chicago on the Democratic Party or welfare is nonsensical.
The 13th Amendment states: “Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.”
SOURCE: The Atlantic
by Ta-Nehisi Coates
Kanye West wants freedom—white freedom.
His name: Ulrich B. Phillips, Columbia University history professor at the turn off the 20th century.
by Kate Clifford Larson
I’m a Harriet Tubman historian. There’s a lot that West got wrong.
SOURCE: Time Magazine
The history’s more complicated than he realizes.
SOURCE: The Root
by Elon James White
Wearing a symbol of hate and calling it artistic integrity proves that the rapper is more ignorant than many already thought he was.
- 5 Ways to Rebuild Labor and Transform America
- Trump's Praise for China over Tiananmen Square Years ago was a Preview of his Support for Military Crackdowns on the George Floyd Protests
- For the First Time in 30 Years, Hong Kong Will Not Hold a Mass Vigil Commemorating the Tiananmen Square Massacre
- America's New Nihilism
- National Museum of African American History and Culture Releases “Talking About Race” Web Portal
- Why Teachers, Not Reformers, Should “Reimagine Education”
- COVID, Race, and a Pivotal Moment for America
- The Memo: Trump Lags in Polls as Crises Press
- Explaining the Insurrection Act of 1807 and Looking Back on Nixon’s Law & Order Campaign (Podcast)
- Trump Declared Himself the 'President of Law and Order.' Here's What People Get Wrong About the Origins of That Idea