Originally published 11/19/2013
Reagan learned a lesson from the Able Archer 83 war scare.
Originally published 11/05/2013
The military exercise Able Archer nearly provoked a pre-emptive Soviet strike.
Originally published 11/08/2017
Once General Robert E. Lee’s right-hand man, General Longstreet would become known as ‘the Judas of the Lost Cause.’
Originally published 12/11/2016
Mark Byrnes's Facing Backwards
What has disturbed so many of us about Trump's election is that the choice that 46.2 % of the voters made is so antithetical to our vision of what America can and should be.
- Human Evolution: Walking Upright Evolved at Least 3.6 Million Years Ago—Long Before Modern Humans Appeared
- Why a primary challenge to Trump is likely to fail
- Smog and Disasters Spurred the Laws Trump Wants to Undo
- After Sylvester Stallone Call, Trump Considers ‘Full Pardon’ of Long-Dead Black Boxer
- Disclosed: Journalist helped defuse a budding conflict between the US and Cuba in 1964
- Dartmouth historian Matthew J. Garcia says conservative partisans in Arizona have taken over a civics school he once ran
- Berkeley’s Carolyn Merchant explains what ecofeminism is
- University of Southern California's David Kang says Korea is the only place on earth where the Cold War continues
- W.R. Smyser, U.S. diplomat turned historian of postwar Germany, dies at 86
- Max Boot: North Korea is conning Donald Trump yet again