Originally published 02/14/2018
Paul S. Ropp
We're headed down as we withdraw from the world and China's going up as it embraces a global leadership role.
Originally published 08/24/2017
Michael S. Neiberg
With the benefit of time we can see more clearly the essential bifurcation in American views about US leadership and how they began in the aftermath of the heated debate over the Treaty of Versailles.
Originally published 04/18/2017
Scholar: Why presidential candidates (like Trump) campaign as isolationists but (like Trump) govern as hawks
The pattern goes back at least to 1900.
Originally published 02/17/2017
What Trump really believes is far more dangerous.
Originally published 10/24/2013
Andrew J. Bacevich
Pundits are proclaiming a new American isolationism... and they've been doing so since before the end of World War II.
Originally published 09/25/2013
Gore Vidal’s forgotten rival.
Originally published 12/16/2015
Ira Chernus's MythicAmerica
Are our enemies humans or devils? Liberals are not sure.
Originally published 07/18/2014
Liberty and Power
It doesn’t take much to be smeared as an isolationist by leading Republicans. Texas Gov. Rick Perry, who appears to be running for president again, and former vice president Dick Cheney — not to mention Sen. John McCain, Gov. Chris Christie, and other members of the GOP establishment — can always be counted on to drag out that insult whenever they sense a threat from anyone not as hawkish as they are. Let’s be clear: Someone who simply doesn’t want Americans draw into foreign conflicts is not an isolationist.
- University of South Carolina unveils statue of first black professor
- Inside Billy Graham's Powerful Relationship With U.S. Presidents
- Children have changed America before, braving fire hoses and police dogs for civil rights
- How the Activists Who Tore Down Durham's Confederate Statue Got Away With It
- Many Trump Voters Think We Need a White History Month
- Top Ten Signs the US is the most Corrupt nation in the World (2018 Edn.)
- Seven Books Named as Finalists for the 2018 George Washington Prize
- McMaster could leave WH after months of tension with Trump
- AHA President Mary Beth Norton says ending sexual harassment is a high priority
- Historians fear ‘censorship’ under Poland’s Holocaust law