Originally published 02/14/2018
Paul S. Ropp
We're headed down as we withdraw from the world and China's going up as it embraces a global leadership role.
Originally published 08/24/2017
Michael S. Neiberg
With the benefit of time we can see more clearly the essential bifurcation in American views about US leadership and how they began in the aftermath of the heated debate over the Treaty of Versailles.
Originally published 04/18/2017
Scholar: Why presidential candidates (like Trump) campaign as isolationists but (like Trump) govern as hawks
The pattern goes back at least to 1900.
Originally published 02/17/2017
What Trump really believes is far more dangerous.
Originally published 10/24/2013
Andrew J. Bacevich
Pundits are proclaiming a new American isolationism... and they've been doing so since before the end of World War II.
Originally published 09/25/2013
Gore Vidal’s forgotten rival.
Originally published 12/16/2015
Ira Chernus's MythicAmerica
Are our enemies humans or devils? Liberals are not sure.
Originally published 07/18/2014
Liberty and Power
It doesn’t take much to be smeared as an isolationist by leading Republicans. Texas Gov. Rick Perry, who appears to be running for president again, and former vice president Dick Cheney — not to mention Sen. John McCain, Gov. Chris Christie, and other members of the GOP establishment — can always be counted on to drag out that insult whenever they sense a threat from anyone not as hawkish as they are. Let’s be clear: Someone who simply doesn’t want Americans draw into foreign conflicts is not an isolationist.
- In Ireland, Drought and a Drone Revealed the Outline of an Ancient Henge
- Sarcophagus Found. Contents Unknown. (‘No Guessing, Please.’)
- Trump says recent poll shows he's more popular than Lincoln
- Government probing "new information" in Emmett Till slaying
- Trump wants tough new Air Force One paint job
- Oxford professor counts 93 penises in Bayeux Tapestry
- Medieval Scholars Call for Transparency and Anti-Racism at Conference
- Robert Dallek's FDR Book Invites Comparisons To Trump's Presidency
- Ridley Scott to Adapt Israeli Author's "Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind" Into a Movie
- Partisans assail historians for judging the past by today’s standards. Here’s why they’re wrong, says classicist