Speaker of the House
Originally published 10/27/2015
What can he learn from the ghosts of speakers past?
Originally published 10/19/2015
The speaker has far more power in the House than any one senator has in the Senate. And at times in our history, the speaker's power has rivaled that of the president himself.
Originally published 10/14/2015
Republicans are split on how to balance broad participation against the efficient functioning of the institution.
Originally published 10/18/2013
Foley presided over the House from 1989 to 1994.
Originally published 07/19/2015
What Does Rockville, Maryland's Confederate Monument Tell Us About the Civil War? About the Nadir? About the Present?
It's time to remove this monument.
- A load of gold worth up to $54 million went missing during the Civil War. There may be a break in the case.
- How American High Schools Teach The Iraq War
- The waves of feminism, and why people keep fighting over them, explained
- Florida to replace Confederate statue in US Capitol
- 43% of Americans still think the Iraq War was a good idea
- “Civilisations" presenter David Olusoga blames Winston Churchill for war crimes in Africa
- University of Chicago’s Hanna Holborn Gray has written a memoir
- Historians’ assessment of Obama’s legacy
- Facebook’s Historian: Professor Heather Cox Richardson
- Historians at the Rochester Institute of Technology are bolstering Wikipedia’s archive of entries on women’s history