Lichtman: Polarization Makes Dynastic Politics Less Prominent
NPR's Steve Inskeep speaks to Allan Lichtman, a professor of history at American University, about Liz Cheney's political career after her Wyoming primary loss, and the political dynasties.
SOURCE: Boston Review
What Are Parties For?
by Jan-Werner Müller
The Republican Party has outsourced the work of policymaking to a handful of billionaire-funded think tanks, leading to an incoherent platform of plutocratic populism and a party structure that cannot debate and advance new ideas, says a top scholar of comparative politics.
SOURCE: New York Times
How the Black Vote Became a Monolith
by Theodore R. Johnson
Despite the political diversity within Black America, the political system's accommodation of bigotry and the political utility of appeals to white identity have pushed the overwhelming majority of Black voters to cast ballots for the same party.
SOURCE: New York Times
Are We More Divided Now Than Ever Before? (Review)
A political scientist argues that today's polarization is enabled by the collapse of political diversity within the major parties, not by an especially ideological electorate.
SOURCE: New Republic
Why America Is Stuck With Only Two Parties
by Micah L. Sifry
If the United States ever gets a major new political party, it won’t be built by think tank denizens.
SOURCE: OUP Blog
Do America’s political parties matter in presidential elections?
by Richard M. Valelly
The evolution of the presidential selection system suggests not that American political parties abandoned a key function of party politics sometime in the 1970s, that is, the task of picking the presidential nominee.
A Plea for Political Moderation
by Vaughn Davis Bornet
Moderates are a depressingly vanishing breed... and in the absence of moderates, extremism, anger, and shrillness rule the day.
Why Do So Many Americans Hate Politics?
by Thomas Patterson
The nastiness of American politics is keeping voters from the polls.
- How Tina Turner Escaped Abuse and Reclaimed her Name
- The Biden Administration Wants to Undo the Damage of Urban Highways. It Won't be Simple
- AAUP: Fight Tooth and Nail Against Florida's Higher Ed Agenda Because Your State is Next
- Texas GOP's Ten Commandments School Bill Fails
- Former Alabama Governors: We Regret Overseeing Executions
- Jeff Sharlet on the Intersectional Erotics of Fascism
- Scholars Stage Teach-in on Racism in DeSantis's Back Yard
- Paul Watanabe, Historian and Manzanar Survivor, Makes Sure History Isn't Forgotten
- Massachusetts-Based Historians: Book Bans in Florida Affect Us, Too
- Deborah Lipstadt's Work Abroad as Antisemitism Envoy Complicated by Definitional Dispute