SOURCE: Made By History at the Washington Post
Chuck Sams's Nomination to Head Parks Service is Helping Correct a Big Lie of Western History
by Blaine Harden
Memorialized as a godly champion of manifest destiny, Marcus Whitman was in fact "a mediocre missionary whose most significant contribution to history was getting killed."
U.S. revises process for recognizing tribes
Shrinking tribes have prompted the overhaul.
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"