Alan Turing, Computing Genius And WWII Hero, To Be On U.K.'s New 50-Pound Note
It will include a quote from Turing: "This is only a foretaste of what is to come and only the shadow of what is going to be."
SOURCE: The Conversation
Alan Turing was one of many persecuted by Whitehall for their sexuality
by Dan Lomas
While certainly welcome, the focus on Turing’s story has overshadowed the plight of other individuals in similar circumstances.
Alan Turing’s family demands the UK pardon its convicted homosexuals
The famed mathematician and codebreaker received a royal pardon in 2013. As many as 49,000 others have not
SOURCE: New Historian
Top Secret Documents Found in Roof at Bletchley Park
Along with the fragmentary codebreaking documents found in the roof were parts of an atlas, a pinboard and a fashion article from a magazine.
Setting The Record Straight For Alan Turing
by Adam Frank
It's not just that Turing's work was worthy of a Nobel Prize. He went far beyond that.
SOURCE: NY Review of Books
A Poor Imitation of Alan Turing
by Christian Caryl
To anyone trying to turn this story into a movie, the choice seems clear: either you embrace the richness of Turing as a character and trust the audience to follow you there, or you simply capitulate, by reducing him to a caricature of the tortured genius.
SOURCE: Telegraph (UK)
Alan Turing to be pardoned for gay conviction
Alan Turing, the World War Two code breaker who later killed himself after receiving a criminal conviction for his homosexuality, looks set to be pardoned.The Government said it would not stand in the way of legislation to offer a full Parliamentary pardon for Turing, who helped Britain to win the Second World War as a skilled code-breaker.Until now, the Government has resisted using the Royal Prerogative to pardon Turing for his conviction for gross indecency in 1952 because he was a homosexual.Ministers had argued that because Turing was convicted of what was at the time a criminal offence, it is not possible to hand him a full posthumous pardon....
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of