SOURCE: The Atlantic
by Daniel Yergin
The author of a book on the dispute over control of the South China sea examines four critical decisionmakers whose actions shaped the present conflict.
SOURCE: Harvard Gazette
Diving with a Purpose seeks to locate and document marine evidence of Black history, including the wrecks of ships involved in the slave trade.
SOURCE: ABC News
Columbia University professor Christopher Brown says the number of slave shipwrecks that researchers have been able to confirm are the absolute minimum, and that the true number of shipwrecked slave ships are likely much higher. The work of a Florida diving group hopes to change that.
by David Head
If the day comes when the USPS, like privateering, has outlived its usefulness, the Constitution will prove no obstacle. The only question that matters is the practical one: does the postal service accomplish its mission better than the alternatives?
SOURCE: New York Times
The hull of a ship that surfaces every few years on a Maine beach may have been the Defiance, a sloop built in 1754.
by Orbis Conservation
In what is the most ambitious sculpture conservation project currently taking place in the UK, 14 monumental 19th century naval figureheads have been saved from decay for the nation.
MYSTIC, Conn. — A national historic landmark slowly slid into the water on Sunday, to cannon fire and the cheers of thousands of spectators on land and in boats.After nearly five years, about $7 million and a painstaking restoration by more than 60 people, the Charles W. Morgan, believed to be the last surviving wooden whaling vessel in the world, was again afloat — 172 years after its construction.“Once it’s floating, it’s alive again,” said Quentin Snediker, the director of the shipyard at the Mystic Seaport museum, who was in charge of the restoration....
- Demonizing Critical Race Theory
- Hideki Tojo's Ashes Scattered By US, Documents Reveal
- Plantation Planned Juneteenth Event that would Tell the Stories of Displaced ‘White Refugees’
- The Complicated History Behind BLM's Solidarity With The Pro-Palestinian Movement
- Rand Paul Offers an Accidentally Useful Jim Crow Analogy in Rationalizing His Party’s Illiberal Shift
- Postal Historian Asks the PRC to Return the Postal Service to a Mission of Service
- Is There an Uncontroversial Way to Teach America’s Racist History?
- White House Pushes To Jump-Start Civil Rights-Era Cold Cases Board
- Toll from Political Push at UNC Continues to Mount
- Legislating Against Critical Race Theory