Originally published 02/05/2018
Daina Ramey Berry
For much of the 19th century, when medical schools needed specimens, they relied on the dead bodies of enslaved people.
Originally published 08/27/2016
The nation was a beacon for the anti-slavery cause.
Originally published 09/28/2015
As Cuba opens, it's time to recognize our proxy role in Cuba's slave trade, and the Monroe Doctrine's real purpose
Originally published 09/25/2015
Sean Wilentz argues the document was fundamentally anti-slavery. But then there's the slave trade.
Originally published 06/30/2015
Andrew Kahn and Jamelle Bouie
Watch the slave ships plow the Atlantic in an ever increasing race from Africa to the Americas.
Originally published 09/08/2014
How the slave trade patterns of centuries ago are still shaping African marriages today
Originally published 06/21/2013
BUNCE ISLAND, Sierra Leone—Twelve American presidents owned slaves, eight while serving in office, and at least 25 presidents count slave owners among their ancestors. But new historical evidence shows that a direct ancestor of George W. and George H.W. Bush was part of a much more appalling group: Thomas Walker was a notorious slave trader active in the late 18th century along the coast of West Africa.Walker, George H.W. Bush's great-great-great grandfather, was the captain of, master of, or investor in at least 11 slaving voyages to West Africa between 1784 and 1792....
Originally published 08/12/2007
Sheldon M. Stern
"Readers must understand that this terrible traffic in millions of human beings had been ... a joint venture."
- The Rothschilds, a pamphlet by ‘Satan’ and anti-Semitic conspiracy theories tied to a battle 200 years ago
- How Smithsonian Helped Solve the Twitter Mystery of the Unknown Woman Scientist
- It’s Disturbingly Easy to Buy Iraq’s Archeological Treasures
- Geneticist at Harvard Medical School has retrieved DNA from more than 900 ancient people.
- A load of gold worth up to $54 million went missing during the Civil War. There may be a break in the case.
- Historian: The Heavy Burden of Teaching My Son About American Racism
- Teachers are using ‘Black Panther’ to discuss African colonialism and American racism
- Q: “Sir, would you like a history of this monument?” A: “F**k You!”
- Russian gulag historian faces 9 years in prison
- “Civilisations" presenter David Olusoga blames Winston Churchill for war crimes in Africa