by David Lee McMullen
A history professor at UNC Charlotte reflects on the campus shooting last Tuesday.
SOURCE: Colorado Public Radio
After Columbine, President Clinton Set A New Standard As 'Consoler In Chief' — And He’s Still Thinking About The Survivors
“There are certain things, if you're president, you need to say,” Clinton said. “There are certain other things you need to not say.”
SOURCE: The Panorama
by Saul Cornell
The most prominent myth obscuring historical understanding of the Second Amendment relates to America’s frontier past.
by Carl T. Bogus
The theory: The amendment was included in part to protect slavery
SOURCE: USA Today
by Jill Lawrence
Does anyone think they would expect us to live by a 230-year-old document?
SOURCE: Der Spiegel
On Friday, June 20, 1913, 100 years ago, death arrived at the Marienschule school in Bremen, Germany. What happened that day wasn't just any old murder -- it was the first documented mass school shooting in history.It was shortly before 11 a.m., as teacher Maria Pohl lined her students up in two lines to leave the school building for recess. As the girls began to move, a man stormed up the stairs and opened fire. His name was Heinz Jacob Friedrich Ernst Schmidt, a 29-year-old unemployed teacher who had only lived in the city since December of the previous year.Panic broke out as Schmidt continued to fire his gun. Two girls were shot dead. A third fell and broke her neck as she tried to climb over a stair railing to escape. A few other girls retreated back into the classroom, where they were pursued by the killer. The five- and six-year old girls begged for their lives: "Uncle, please don't shoot us!"...
- Oklahoma ACLU Files Suit Against State Ban on Critical Race Theory
- St. Malo, Louisiana, Site of Earliest Filipino-American Settlement, Threatened by Climate Change
- Executive Privilege was out of Control Before Steve Bannon Claimed It
- Can Skeletons Have Racial Identity?
- Diver Discovers 900-Year-Old Sword Dating to the Crusades
- Leonard Moore: On Teaching Black History to White People
- How Cigarettes Became a Civil Rights Issue
- David Graeber and David Wengrow Have Given Human History a Rewrite
- Dems Worry Not Passing Biden Agenda Will Kill Them in the Midterms. Does Legislation Actually Matter?
- #HATM: "Historians at the Movies" Builds Community One Screening at a Time