Originally published 06/16/2013
Howard P. Segal
Gordon Gee and Dale Lick. Credit: OSU/U.Maine/HNN staff.Cross-posted from the Bangor Daily News.As has been widely reported in recent days, the president of mammoth Ohio State University, Gordon Gee, has been forced to resign his position because of comments he made “off the record” back in December that were only recently reported by the Associated Press. Speaking about why Notre Dame University not been invited to join the Big Ten Conference (now consisting, of course, of ever more than ten schools), Gee lamented that “you just can’t trust those damned Catholics” to do whatever was needed to join. Gee also criticized the University of Louisville as an allegedly inferior academic institution.
- A Brief History of GOP Attempts to Kill the Education Dept.
- New York Is Building a New Monument to Women’s History—And It Wants the Public’s Help
- Charleston Apologizes for City’s Role in Slave Trade
- With 'America First,' Trump Challenges The World Constructed After World War II
- Newly Discovered ‘Limb Pit’ Reveals Civil War Surgeons’ Bitter Choices
- Conservative Mark Bauerlein says humanities faculty are in denial about their own role in the decline of the humanities
- President Trump Is Looking for Suggestions for Pardons
- Black history is still largely ignored, 70 years after Empire Windrush reached Britain
- Senegal historian decries long shadows of colonialism
- “As if George Wallace had won in 1968″