SOURCE: Washington Post
Education historian Diane Ravitch and education policy advocate Carol Burris write for Valerie Straus's education column and recommend rejecting the failed experiment applying market values to public schools through "choice," charter schools, and high-stakes testing.
SOURCE: U.S. News
On Thursday, Colorado lawmakers voted to mandate LGBTQ curriculum for K-12 public school students.
by Katherine Stewart
In certain conservative circles, the phrase “government schools” has become as ubiquitous as it is contemptuous.
by David B. Parker
The argument? We can do away with “frills” like music classes.
by Lawrence S. Wittner
Credit: Wiki Commons.“Who needs the Cayman Islands?” That’s how a May 22 New York Times article began as it described “Tax-Free NY,” a plan zealously promoted by New York State’s Democratic Governor, Andrew Cuomo.
- St. Malo, Louisiana, Site of Earliest Filipino-American Settlement, Threatened by Climate Change
- Executive Privilege was out of Control Before Steve Bannon Claimed It
- Can Skeletons Have Racial Identity?
- Diver Discovers 900-Year-Old Sword Dating to the Crusades
- Is the Academy's New Museum Neglecting the Jewish Pioneers of Hollywood?
- How Cigarettes Became a Civil Rights Issue
- David Graeber and David Wengrow Have Given Human History a Rewrite
- Dems Worry Not Passing Biden Agenda Will Kill Them in the Midterms. Does Legislation Actually Matter?
- #HATM: "Historians at the Movies" Builds Community One Screening at a Time
- Must We Unite Around Slaveholders? Woody Holton and Jamelle Bouie on the Politics of History