SOURCE: The Conversation
by Jonathan Feingold
Ron DeSantis's General Counsel defined "woke" as “the belief there are systemic injustices in American society and the need to address them.” The governor's education agenda is neatly summed up by this statement, and it's spreading nationwide.
SOURCE: The Forum
by Jennifer Berkshire
As conservative activists mount a multi-front campaign to discredit and defund public education, too many leading Democrats seem unaware that the popularity of public education means they have a winning issue right in front of their faces, says an education historian and policy analyst.
SOURCE: The New Republic
by Charles McCrary and Leslie Ribovich
"The court’s conservatives do not oppose secularism so much as they oppose public things. And so, that is what we ought to defend."
As national conservative groups have mobilized voters and resources around the idea that schools are under seige by radical leftist indoctrination, some school board members have experienced death threats and other serious harassment.
SOURCE: Washington Post
Education historian Diane Ravitch and education policy advocate Carol Burris write for Valerie Straus's education column and recommend rejecting the failed experiment applying market values to public schools through "choice," charter schools, and high-stakes testing.
SOURCE: U.S. News
On Thursday, Colorado lawmakers voted to mandate LGBTQ curriculum for K-12 public school students.
by Katherine Stewart
In certain conservative circles, the phrase “government schools” has become as ubiquitous as it is contemptuous.
by David B. Parker
The argument? We can do away with “frills” like music classes.
by Lawrence S. Wittner
Credit: Wiki Commons.“Who needs the Cayman Islands?” That’s how a May 22 New York Times article began as it described “Tax-Free NY,” a plan zealously promoted by New York State’s Democratic Governor, Andrew Cuomo.
- Josh Hawley Earns F in Early American History
- Does Germany's Holocaust Education Give Cover to Nativism?
- "Car Brain" Has Long Normalized Carnage on the Roads
- Hawley's Use of Fake Patrick Henry Quote a Revealing Error
- Health Researchers Show Segregation 100 Years Ago Harmed Black Health, and Effects Continue Today
- Nelson Lichtenstein on a Half Century of Labor History
- Can America Handle a 250th Anniversary?
- New Research Shows British Industrialization Drew Ironworking Methods from Colonized and Enslaved Jamaicans
- The American Revolution Remains a Hotly Contested Symbolic Field
- Untangling Fact and Fiction in the Story of a Nazi-Era Brothel