SOURCE: The Forum
by Jennifer Berkshire
As conservative activists mount a multi-front campaign to discredit and defund public education, too many leading Democrats seem unaware that the popularity of public education means they have a winning issue right in front of their faces, says an education historian and policy analyst.
SOURCE: The New Republic
by Charles McCrary and Leslie Ribovich
"The court’s conservatives do not oppose secularism so much as they oppose public things. And so, that is what we ought to defend."
As national conservative groups have mobilized voters and resources around the idea that schools are under seige by radical leftist indoctrination, some school board members have experienced death threats and other serious harassment.
SOURCE: Washington Post
Education historian Diane Ravitch and education policy advocate Carol Burris write for Valerie Straus's education column and recommend rejecting the failed experiment applying market values to public schools through "choice," charter schools, and high-stakes testing.
SOURCE: U.S. News
On Thursday, Colorado lawmakers voted to mandate LGBTQ curriculum for K-12 public school students.
by Katherine Stewart
In certain conservative circles, the phrase “government schools” has become as ubiquitous as it is contemptuous.
by David B. Parker
The argument? We can do away with “frills” like music classes.
by Lawrence S. Wittner
Credit: Wiki Commons.“Who needs the Cayman Islands?” That’s how a May 22 New York Times article began as it described “Tax-Free NY,” a plan zealously promoted by New York State’s Democratic Governor, Andrew Cuomo.
- Documentary on the Last Slave Ship to Arrive in the United States Takes on Questions of Memorializing Racist Violence
- The Underground Network of Ministers and Rabbis Aiding Abortion Access Before Roe
- At its 50th Reunion, La Raza Unida Asks How to Pass the Torch
- US Neglect of Puerto Rico is in the News, but the Main Historical Relationship has been Abuse
- Will SCOTUS Revisit the Second Class Citizenship of American Samoans?
- Sergey Radchenko on Putin's Mobilization Speech
- A Finnish Historian's Ambitious Rethinking of Native American History Draws Praise and Criticism
- National Archives Exhibition Challenges the Meritocratic, Democratic Myths of American Sports
- The Defeat of Identity Politics
- How Ideology Shapes America's View on the World