Originally published 02/05/2016
Woolly tale about Explorers Club soiree falls over as leftover gobbet turns out to be sea turtle after 21st-century DNA analysis
Originally published 07/10/2013
YOKOHAMA – An almost perfectly preserved frozen mammoth, excavated from the permafrost in eastern Siberia, was unveiled to the media Tuesday in Yokohama, where it will be on display from Saturday.The 3-meter-tall mammoth is a 10-year-old female and is presumed to have died about 39,000 years ago. The frozen carcass, named “Yuka” after Russia’s Sakha (Yakutia) Republic where it was discovered, is believed to be one of the world’s largest.Excavated in 2010, Yuka has a long trunk, arms and legs preserved in almost perfect condition. Since then, the carcass was conserved and studied by researchers at an institute in Russia....
Originally published 05/31/2013
MOSCOW — Russian researchers say they have discovered a perfectly preserved woolly mammoth carcass with liquid blood on a remote Arctic island, fueling hopes of cloning the Ice Age animal.They say the frozen remains of a female mammoth were so well-preserved that blood was found in ice cavities when they were broken up.Semyon Grigoryev, the head of the Mammoth Museum who led the expedition, said Thursday the carcass was preserved because its lower part was stuck in pure ice. He said the find could provide scientific material for cloning a mammoth....
- Australian university students dress as Ku Klux Klan and in blackface
- Jefferson’s Monticello finally gives Sally Hemings her place in presidential history
- You Are Never Going to Believe Which Verse Was Most Quoted in American Newspapers Between 1840 and 1920
- Albert Einstein decried racism in America, but was guilty of it himself
- Trump retreats from US moral leadership stance
- More fallout from SHAFR's decision to invite David Petraeus as keynote speaker
- ‘EU is weakest world power’ Niall Ferguson says
- Library of Congress to Award Drew Gilpin Faust a $1 Million Prize for Achievement in the Study of Humanity
- Sociologist says northern newspapers should apologize for how THEY covered lynchings
- Julian Zelizer says GOPers like Boehner paved the way for their irrelevance in the age of Trump