Originally published 02/07/2018
"It is up to House leaders — that means you, Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) — to stop Nunes before he smears again.”
Originally published 03/07/2017
"The place was infested with either traitors that were on the direct payroll of Soviet military intelligence or fellow-travelers who were kind of compliant in helping these guys get along." – Steve Bannon, in an interview with Diane West, rightwing author of ""American Betrayal."
Originally published 02/09/2016
When the Republican senator from Maine stood up to Joseph McCarthy in 1950, attacking him for his shameful reliance on "the Four Horsemen of Calumny — Fear, Ignorance, Bigotry, and Smear," it caused a sensation.
Originally published 12/01/2013
John T. McNay
Labor's 2011 victory in Ohio offers a blueprint for the future.
Originally published 05/15/2013
Philip Jenkins is a Distinguished Professor of History at Baylor University and a columnist for RealClearReligion. His latest book is Laying Down the Sword.Language speaks us. Much as I hate quoting that post-modern cliché, it captures the truth that certain words and phrases become so deeply inlaid in our everyday conversation that we are scarcely able to realize their ideological slant.As a prime example, I offer the wave of investigations that the United States and other countries undertook into Communist subversion and espionage in the Cold War years. Well, that description is a little wordy, so let's just use the convenient short-hand that has become so standard: the McCarthy witch hunts....Real witches, by definition, did not exist....
Originally published 04/17/2018
Below the surface of public statements about gun legislation, the NRA sells its members a disturbing critique of our society. Under the title “Standing Guard | Colleges Spread Anti-Gun Sentiment” on the NRA website, LaPierre says this about American higher education. “American freedom faces no greater threat than from our academic institutions, where the most basic fundamental principles upon which our nation was founded are aggressively attacked by extreme socialists posing as honest professors,” etc.
- ‘One last time’: Barbara Bush had already faced a death more painful than her own
- Belgium comes to terms with 'human zoos' of its colonial past
- Tennessee lawmakers punish Memphis for removing statues
- This love letter George H.W. Bush sent to Barbara is making people swoon
- Alabama governor defends Confederate monuments: We don't need 'out-of-state liberals' telling us what to do
- Mary Beard cut from US version of “Civilisations"
- Timothy Garton Ash: "We have six months to foil Brexit. And here’s how we can do it.”
- Why the Pulitzer Prize committee keeps ignoring women’s history
- No, we're not reliving the 1960s, says Harvard historian Arne Westad
- 2018 Pulitzers in History, Biography and Nonfiction Go to ...