SOURCE: Defense One
Trump's executive order would make political loyalty, rather than expertise, experience or skill, the main criteria for retention in a new category of Federal jobs, potentially destabilizing the Federal civil service.
SOURCE: The Atlantic
by George Packer
A shutdown looks like the beginning of the end that Lincoln always knew was possible.
by William J. Astore
Image via Shutterstock.You know the saying: If you've done nothing wrong, you've nothing to hide. I hear it from my students: I've nothing to hide, so let Big Brother scrutinize my emails, my phone calls, my purchases, my activities online, and so on. Anything to keep us safe from the big, bad terrorists.
- Why are Historians Facing Online Abuse Over Whether Atlantis Existed?
- The 1906 Atlanta Race Massacre: How Fearmongering Led to Violence
- Reconstructing an Urban Archive Lost on 9/11
- Vaccination Mandates Are an American Tradition. So Is the Backlash
- In Slasher Film ‘Candyman,’ the Horror Is U.S. Housing Policy