Originally published 04/01/2013
Noted American political historian/biographer and former Historian of the U.S. House of Representatives Robert V. Remini of Wilmette IL passed away on March 28 due to complications from a recently suffered stroke. He was 91.Dr. Remini was born in 1921 in New York City, the son of the late William Remini and Lauretta Tierney Remini. He was the older brother of the late Vincent and William Remini. After graduating from Fordham University, he served as a Lieutenant in the U.S Navy in the Atlantic during WWII before returning to New York to obtain his Masters and Doctorate in History from Columbia University. During these studies in 1948, he married his kindergarten friend and classmate Ruth Kuhner, who passed away in 2012. Together they were the proud parents of Elizabeth Nielson of Eugene OR, Joan Costello of Cincinnati OH, and Robert W Remini of Wilmette IL, as well as grandparents to Caitlin and Brian Costello and Grace Nielson.
- Charleston Apologizes for City’s Role in Slave Trade
- With 'America First,' Trump Challenges The World Constructed After World War II
- Newly Discovered ‘Limb Pit’ Reveals Civil War Surgeons’ Bitter Choices
- Mark Twain Claimed He Got His Pen Name From a Riverboat Captain
- The story of the slave trade’s last survivor
- Parents, Teachers, Legislators Support Reinstating Passage of U.S. History Test as High School Graduation Requirement in Massachusetts
- Mary Beard on big thinkers and 'sexist rants’
- If postwar history starts in 1951, did the UK Tories ‘blue-wash’ the A-level syllabus?
- Daniel Pipes predicts chaos in the Middle East as countries turn away from fossil fuels
- Stanley Fish says historians are deluded in thinking their training gives them special insights in politics that should be passed on to students (and others)