Ben Franklin's Getting a Moment
by Joseph M. Adelman
Elements of Franklin's life resonate with both the earnest cult of the self-made achiever and the self-conscious crafting of image in the social media age. Perhaps this accounts for the surge of interest in Franklin as a founder.
The Women in Ben Franklin's Life Tell a Fuller Story of the Founder
by Nancy Rubin Stuart
The counsel of restraint and moderation advised by "Poor Richard" was hardly the core of Franklin's personality; his relationships with women show a man equally driven by passion and emotion.
SOURCE: Washington Post
What Would Ben Franklin, Our First Postmaster General, Think Of Louis Dejoy?
Richard John, Joseph Adelman, Winifred Gallagher and Devin Leonard offer insight into how Ben Franklin committed to innovation and service improvement to build up the colonial postal service and how the service became an institution tying the new nation together.
SOURCE: Washington Post
What we get wrong about Ben Franklin’s ‘a republic, if you can keep it’
by Zara Anishanslin
Erasing the women of the founding era makes it harder to see women as leaders today.
SOURCE: WBUR (Boston)
Jill Lepore reveals Ben Franklin’s not-so-famous sister
Lepore's new book is "Book of Ages: The Life and Opinions of Jane Franklin."
Channelling Ben Franklin
by Thomas Fleming
“I’ve been told by my friend Washington that you want to talk to me.” “Dr. Franklin! I didn’t really think you’d respond. Mr. Washington told me you only express occasional interest in American affairs.”“I summed up my attitude at the Constitutional Convention. I told them we’d created a republic -- if they can keep it. That says it all -- or at least quite a lot of what I thought -- and still think.”“Without you, they might not have reached an agreement.”“True enough. I saw the antagonisms boiling between perfectionists and realists and for a while wondered if I should have stayed home. It was no place for an eighty-one-year-old man with bladder stones that made it uncomfortable to stand up.”
- Chair of Florida Charter School Board on Firing of Principal: About Policy, Not David Statue
- Graduate Student Strikes Fight Back Against Decades of Austerity, Seek to Revive Opportunity
- When Right Wingers Struggle with Defining "Woke" it Shows they Oppose Pursuing Equality
- Strangelove on the Square: Secret USAF Films Showed Airmen What to Expect if Nuclear War Broke Out
- The Women of the Montgomery Bus Boycott
- New Books Force Consideration of Reconstruction's End from Black Perspective
- Excerpt: How Apartheid South Africa Tried to Create a Libertarian Utopia
- Historian's Book on 1970s NBA Shows Racial Politics around Basketball Have Always Been Ugly
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History