SOURCE: Al Jazeera
"The only reason that can be offered for keeping a man’s tooth for 61 years knowing that it was obtained through torture and murder is that the cruelty is the point. Colonisation was, after all, a projection of power through cruelty, rationalised by pseudo-intellectual arguments about racial superiority and difference."
SOURCE: Al Jazeera
While calling Belgian colonial rule "unjustifiable and racist" King Philippe did not go so far as to issue an apology.
SOURCE: The New York Times
The statue was targeted by recent protests against racism and Belgium’s colonial history. The authorities said the statue would remain in a museum.
Harvard’s Maya Jasanoff vists the Congo and discovers people there probably live harder lives than they did 100 years ago when Joseph Conrad was there
by Maya Jasanoff
The trip was for a book she’s written, “The Dawn Watch: Joseph Conrad in a Global World.”
SOURCE: The Conversation
by Susan Williams
For many long years the American atomic project relied on Congolese ore.
by Gregory Kosc and Bradley J. Borougerdi
Westerners are still profiting from crimes against the Congolese people.
SOURCE: New York Times
by Howard W. French
How to keep the peace in one of the world's most war-torn countries.
NAIROBI, Kenya — American officials on Wednesday said that a team from the International Criminal Court was on its way to Rwanda to collect a war crimes suspect who had turned himself in to the American Embassy and that they were hoping Rwanda would cooperate.Rwanda has indicated that it would not interfere with the transfer of the suspect, Bosco Ntaganda, a rebel commander nicknamed the Terminator, to the International Criminal Court at The Hague, where he has been charged with war crimes and crimes against humanity.
- Law Prof: If Recent SCOTUS Decisions Relied on Bad History, Opponents Need to Come Up with a Better Version
- How Hitler's Favorite Passion Play Lost its Anti-Semitism
- Fighting Back Against Book Banners
- At CPAC, Trump Presents a Violent Blueprint for Taking Power
- Mario Fiorentini (1918-2022): The Last Surviving Italian Partisan
- Revisiting Lady Rochford and Her Alleged Betrayal of Anne Boleyn
- Walter Russell Mead: Non-Jewish Interest Groups, not "Israel Lobby" Drive Hawkish US Mideast Policy
- The Architecture of the Shopping Mall Shaped by Racism, Surveillance
- The Misuse of History in 2021 Documentary "The Business of Birth Control"
- It's Hard to Be God