SOURCE: Perspectives on History
Archival Structures and the Preservers and Retrievers of Stories
by Fernando Amador II
"Historians rarely understand the terminology, organizational strategies, or labor required for establishing and maintaining an archive, and I was no exception."
SOURCE: Washington Post
Matthew Barton is the Man Behind the Library of Congress's Recorded Sound Division
"Ah, well, that’s it. This is the national parks of culture, of history, of memory."
SOURCE: New York Times
Smithsonian Archives of American Art Gathers an Oral History of 2020
The National Archives of American Art has been moving aggressively to document artists' responses to the concurrent social traumas of 2020, including the pandemic, police violence and protests, and a tumultuous election campaign.
SOURCE: New York Times
Academy Museum Gives Debbie Reynolds Her Due as a Costume Conservator
For reasons likely including institiutionalized sexism, costumes have been a neglected part of the preservation of cinematic history. The new Academy Museum of Motion Pictures hopes to work with the late Debbie Reynolds's son to change that.
SOURCE: Leominster (MA) Champion
Fitchburg State Professor Named to Library of Congress Task Force
Fitchburg (MA) State University professor Katherine Rye Jewell has been named to a Library of Congress task force for the preservation of college and community radio.
‘Everyone Has A Story’: How Will World Remember Pandemic?
Museums and historical societies are collecting materials, often with help from people accustomed to capturing and sharing even the most mundane moments around them.
Lois Weber, Hollywood's Forgotten Early Pioneer, Has 2 Films Restored
As Hollywood continues to struggle with the underrepresentation of women behind the camera, most people have forgotten that 100 years ago, one woman ruled.
SOURCE: Places Journal
African-American gravesite are victims of neglect
It’s considered a preservation crisis.
SOURCE: The Civil War Trust
Congress Enacts Landmark Legislation to Preserve America's Endangered Battlefields
Legislation expands successful federal Civil War battlefield grant program to include preservation of Revolutionary War and War of 1812 battlefields.
Smithsonian 3D-scanning collection for future
The Smithsonian has been experimenting with 3D scanning for some time now, using tools like laser arm scanners to map models of whale fossils and other ancient artifacts. Now the museum is utilizing the technology to preserve its collection for posterity. Its "laser cowboys" Vince Rossi and Adam Metallo are working full-time to record items for future generations, as part of an extensive effort to digitize 14 million prioritized objects (a list that also includes artwork and lab specimen)....
Developer pledges to continue Berlin Wall removal
A German property developer has rejected calls to halt work to remove one of the last remaining stretches of the Berlin Wall, despite angry protests against the plan.Maik Uwe Hinkel says work to move a 22-meter (yard) section of the 1.3 kilometer (3/4 mile) section of the wall will resume next week...
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of