SOURCE: The Atlantic
Maligned in the aftermath of the Haitian revolution, Vodou has since been blamed for the alleged barbarism of Haitian people and the poverty of the nation. A new generation of practitioners wants to recover the tradition and clear its name.
SOURCE: The Racket
by Jonathan M. Katz
What can be taken away from the battle erupting between journalists and historians over the Times's blockbuster news event on Haiti's post-independence forced ransom?
SOURCE: Los Angeles Times
by Howard W. French
"Although Americans’ centuries-long debt to the Haitian people is untaught in our schools and unacknowledged in our public discourse, the indomitable spirit of the Haitian people created the United States we know today."
SOURCE: The New Yorker
by Edwidge Danticat
Novelist Edwidge Danticat explains the lengthy history of mistreatment of Haitian migrants by American authorities.
by Alyssa Goldstein Sepinwall
Since an American military occupation begain in 1915, Haitians have struggled to maintain independence under the military and then economic domination of the United States.
SOURCE: Foreign Policy Research Institute
Michael J. Bustamante and Alyssa Goldstein Sepinwall are featured in a discussion of American intervention in the Caribbean and its relationship to current turmoil in Haiti and Cuba. July 29, 2:00 PM.
by Alan J. Singer
"The divergent paths of Haiti and Ireland are rooted in the history of 19th century European colonialism, European and American racism, and the very different alternatives offered to the people of the former colonies for the last two hundred plus years."
SOURCE: Wolfson History Prize
Sudhir Hazareesingh has won the Wolfson Prize for 2021 for "Black Spartacus: The Epic Life of Toussaint Louverture."
- Law Prof: If Recent SCOTUS Decisions Relied on Bad History, Opponents Need to Come Up with a Better Version
- How Hitler's Favorite Passion Play Lost its Anti-Semitism
- Fighting Back Against Book Banners
- At CPAC, Trump Presents a Violent Blueprint for Taking Power
- Mario Fiorentini (1918-2022): The Last Surviving Italian Partisan
- Revisiting Lady Rochford and Her Alleged Betrayal of Anne Boleyn
- Walter Russell Mead: Non-Jewish Interest Groups, not "Israel Lobby" Drive Hawkish US Mideast Policy
- The Architecture of the Shopping Mall Shaped by Racism, Surveillance
- The Misuse of History in 2021 Documentary "The Business of Birth Control"
- It's Hard to Be God