SOURCE: New York Magazine
"As for Florida teachers, why would any of them invite a lawsuit from the local MAGA commissar by suggesting their nation was anything other than the divinely blessed paradise of freedom and opportunity?"
SOURCE: The Atlantic
Free speech debates miss a key point: some participants don't want to protect the right to speak as much as the right of the state to use its power to end political arguments. The role of Black Floridians as citizens was once such an argument, and disenfranchisement ended it.
SOURCE: Chronicle of Higher Education
by Silke-Maria Weineck
Even beyond academic freedom, events in Florida signal the effort to tie the interests of the state's universities to the agenda of the state's ruling party.
SOURCE: Made By History at the Washington Post
by Randa Tawil
At the height of colonialism, European governments rejected calls for quarantine to keep global commerce humming, and blamed supposedly unsanitary local populations for the inevitable spread of cholera. Governors in some US states are repeating this mistake today.
SOURCE: Philadelphia Inquirer
Columnist Will Bunch argues that the nationwide attack on "Critical Race Theory" echoes the anticommunist politics Hofstadter described in "The Paranoid Style," which he discusses with education professor Robert Dahlgren.
SOURCE: News 4 Jacksonville
Florida Governor Ron DeSantis is the latest official to attack "Critical Race Theory" based on an understanding that the ideas are corrupting civics education by overstating the extent of racism in the US.
- How the Pandemic and Anti-Asian Violence Spurred 2 States to Change History Lessons
- Is Old Music Killing New Music?
- Will SCOTUS Take the Opportunity to Ban Race-Conscious Admissions?
- One National Republican Wants (Narrow) Action to Tighten up Electoral Count Act
- New Film "Munich" Offers Revised and (Somewhat) Sympathetic Portrait of Chamberlain
- CIA Director John Deutch at Los Angeles Town Hall in 1996 Denies Agency Sold Cocaine in City
- A History of Nuclear False Alarms
- Susan Carruthers on The Myths and History of the "Dear John" Letter
- The Toxic Goal Behind GOP Laws Restricting Teaching about Racism
- The Role of Liberals in the Neoliberal Turn