Historian Marc Stein Launches Database Project to Identify LGBTQ Direct Action and Protest
by Marc Stein
A project dedicating to identifying and cataloguing direct protest actions by LGBTQ advocates fills in significant gaps in our understanding of the geography, scope, targets, and demands of protests through the years.
SOURCE: The Nation
Direct Action: The Practical Politics of Protest
by Erin Pineda
"Protesters may be a loud minority of citizens, a set of especially motivated and impassioned individuals who are in many ways not representative of the general public. But the silent majority of voters are not as disconnected from—or dismissive of—protest as many assume."
Drugstores and the Color Line: Remembering Pharmacies as Sites of the Civil Rights Movement
by Greg Bond
Drug stores and pharmacies have been important sites of civil rights struggle – as local businesses that have provided vital services to a broad clientele, equal service at the pharmacy has been a material and symbolic demand of Black freedom advocates dating to the late 19th century.
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of