A History of Violence in the US/Mexico Borderlands
by Brian Behnken
Policing both the border and Mexican American communities in the Southwest has always been entangled with white supremacist violence, the author argues in a new book.
SOURCE: Minnesota Public Radio
Kelly Lytle Hernández on the Linked Histories of Mexico and the US
"Many Americans don’t know that the histories of the United States and Mexico are inseparably intertwined. But historian Kelly Lytle Hernández says you cannot fully understand one without the other."
The Border and the Contingent Status of Mexican Workers
by Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz
In this excerpt from her new book "Not 'A Nation of Immigrants'," Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz argues that the politics of the border and the racialization of Mexican laborers has been a longstanding and glaring exception to the American myth of welcoming immigrants.
SOURCE: Made By History at the Washington Post
Americans Sought Safer Abortions in Mexico Before Roe, Too
by Lina-Maria Murillo
"No matter what antiabortion crusaders try, pregnant people will always find ways to have abortions — and networks that go beyond borders have long helped them navigate treatment options."
SOURCE: The Guardian
Pancho Villa, My Grandmother, and the Revolutionary History of the Border
by Carlos Sanchez
Conflicting family and neighborhood stories about the life of Pancho Villa – bandit or revolutionary? – showed the author how little of the complexity of the Mexican Revolution and the experiences of ethnic Mexican people made it into his school books in El Paso. Will new Texas laws push this knowledge back into the shadows?
SOURCE: Public Books
Solidarity is a Process: Talking with Kelly Lytle Hernandez, Josh Kun, and Destin Jenkins
A panel of scholars discusses the concept of cross-racial solidarity and the prospects of creating powerful coalitions of the disempowered.
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of