SOURCE: Bloomberg CityLab
by Shlomo Angel
"When a war becomes an urban war — when invaders move from open countryside to crowded streets — the advantages of size, air cover, or more sophisticated weaponry do not hold."
by James R. Stocker
Martin Indyk’s new work offers a vivid portrait of the former Secretary of State’s Arab-Israeli diplomacy, but he completely misses one of the most important parts of this policy – the Palestinians.
Director Alon Schwartz examines the events in the town of Tantura, where an Israeli militia is alleged to have killed 200 Arab residents. Oral history interviews with surviving members of the militia are key, but controversial, pieces of evidence.
"It is time to acknowledge the truth, and first to publish the report by the first attorney general, Yaakov-Shimshon Shapira, on the massacres of the dark autumn of 1948... and to hold a penetrating public discussion of their implications today."
by Alon Ben-Meir
If the recent cease-fire between Israel and Hamas holds, many may be tempted to push for renewing a negotiated peace process. This is skipping the vital and difficult work of reconciliation that is necessary to a just peace.
SOURCE: Wall Street Journal
by Benny Morris
"The chaos in the towns of Lydda, Ramle, Haifa, Umm al-Fahm and Acre is a dim echo of the civil war between Palestine’s Jewish and Arab communities that engulfed the country during the first months of the 1948 war."
Middle East Historian: Biden Administration is 'Complicit in Shielding Israel' from International Pressure
Historian Rashid Khalidi discusses the conflict with Andrea Mitchell and argues that the Biden administration's support is protecting Israel from pressure from other nations to stop air strikes in Gaza or negotiate with Hamas.
SOURCE: New York Times
A new Israeli television series represents one of the nation's few high-profile examinations of the 1973 Yom Kippur War, and examines the toll of trauma on veterans.
- Law Prof: If Recent SCOTUS Decisions Relied on Bad History, Opponents Need to Come Up with a Better Version
- How Hitler's Favorite Passion Play Lost its Anti-Semitism
- Fighting Back Against Book Banners
- At CPAC, Trump Presents a Violent Blueprint for Taking Power
- Mario Fiorentini (1918-2022): The Last Surviving Italian Partisan
- Revisiting Lady Rochford and Her Alleged Betrayal of Anne Boleyn
- Walter Russell Mead: Non-Jewish Interest Groups, not "Israel Lobby" Drive Hawkish US Mideast Policy
- The Architecture of the Shopping Mall Shaped by Racism, Surveillance
- The Misuse of History in 2021 Documentary "The Business of Birth Control"
- It's Hard to Be God