SOURCE: The Atlantic
Haitian Americans Reclaim the Traditions of Vodou from Centuries of Misperception
Maligned in the aftermath of the Haitian revolution, Vodou has since been blamed for the alleged barbarism of Haitian people and the poverty of the nation. A new generation of practitioners wants to recover the tradition and clear its name.
SOURCE: The Nation
On September 1, 1971 the Pittsburgh Pirates Fielded the First All-Black Team in MLB History
The Pirates' lineup 50 years ago was composed of African American and Afro-Latino players, and offers an occasion to reflect on the changing position of Black players in baseball and of baseball in Black America.
SOURCE: Black Perspectives
Online Roundtable: Brandon R. Byrd’s ‘The Black Republic’
The African American Intellectual History Society will present next week a series of responses to Dr. Brandon Byrd's 2019 book examining the relationship between Black American intellectuals and activists and the Republic of Haiti.
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of