SOURCE: The Grio
Smithsonian Announces Plans to Return Looted, Unethically Sourced Artifacts
Smithsonian Institution Secretary Lonnie Bunch III announced the museum's intention to be a world leading institution on repatriating artifacts and promoting reconciliation for colonialism through museums.
Tracing World War 2's Impact on Sicily's Cultural Heritage Sites and Museums
by Antonino Crisà
World War II profoundly affected museums and antiquities in Sicily; a new research project is examining this underappreciated destructive consequence of war.
How Amalia Levi Does History
Amalia Levi's work as a freelance archivist with cultural organizations in several countries shows that much greater resources are needed to make a wealth of historical documentation accessible, and many talented workers could put those resources to work.
SOURCE: New York Times
When an Enemy’s Cultural Heritage Becomes One’s Own
As the conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan in the contested Nagorno-Karabakh region enters a cease-fire, what are the prospects for protecting sites of cultural and historical significance from destruction as acts of reprisal? History suggests it's possible, though difficult.
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of