Steve Waksman on the History of Live Music in America
Waksman's new book explains how a live performance depends on the confluence of art and business.
SOURCE: Black Perspectives
How Josephine Baker Challenged Racism in Las Vegas
by Claytee White
Josephine Baker's brief stand in 1952 didn't forever break the color line in the city's casinos and clubs, but it did help Black Las Vegans push for enduring change.
SOURCE: Los Angeles Times
How Dennis Hopper Ran the Wildest Party House in Hollywood
The house of the actor and his wife Brooke Hayward was a gathering place of fertile movements in film, arts and music that made the 1960s.
Mel Brooks Delivers 500 Pages on His Favorite Subject – Himself
"The stuff that hasn’t been public, or at least is tough to find, makes the book worthwhile."
Josephine Baker First American, Black Woman, and Performer Inducted to French Pantheon
"in 1963, Baker addressed the crowd at the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom. She wore her French Resistance uniform with the string of medals across her breast."
SOURCE: The Atlantic
"Negotiated Authenticity" and the Precarious Position of Black Creators in Television History
"Since its invention, television has shaped this country’s self-image. To the extent that we share notions of “normal,” “acceptable,” “funny,” “wrong,” and even “American,” television has helped define them. For decades, Black writers were shut out of the rooms in which those notions were scripted."
SOURCE: New York Times
Academy Museum Gives Debbie Reynolds Her Due as a Costume Conservator
For reasons likely including institiutionalized sexism, costumes have been a neglected part of the preservation of cinematic history. The new Academy Museum of Motion Pictures hopes to work with the late Debbie Reynolds's son to change that.
- Chair of Florida Charter School Board on Firing of Principal: About Policy, Not David Statue
- Graduate Student Strikes Fight Back Against Decades of Austerity, Seek to Revive Opportunity
- When Right Wingers Struggle with Defining "Woke" it Shows they Oppose Pursuing Equality
- Strangelove on the Square: Secret USAF Films Showed Airmen What to Expect if Nuclear War Broke Out
- The Women of the Montgomery Bus Boycott
- New Books Force Consideration of Reconstruction's End from Black Perspective
- Excerpt: How Apartheid South Africa Tried to Create a Libertarian Utopia
- Historian's Book on 1970s NBA Shows Racial Politics around Basketball Have Always Been Ugly
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History