Moral panics are proving useful for a right-wing agenda of undermining public trust in public education; America's oligarchs are stoking them, argues a school social worker.
SOURCE: The New Republic
Calls for "transparency" in curriculum are working hand in hand with an agenda to divert public school funding to charter schools using a curriculum steeped in Christian nationalism. But liberals would do well to heed the connection these plans draw between education and citizenship, and parents' desire to connect them more firmly.
SOURCE: The Conversation
Once a Symbol of Desegregation, Ruby Bridges’ School now Reflects another Battle Engulfing Public Education
by Connie L. Schaffer, Martha Graham Viator and Meg White
The New Orleans school integrated by Ruby Bridges is now operated by a private charter school company, part of a trend that three education scholars say jeopardizes the survival of the entire system of public education in the United States.
- Leading Expert on Housing Discrimination Suing Appraisers for Discrimination
- A Century After the Elaine Massacre, Black Farmers in Arkansas Demand Justice
- American Democracy Wasn't Built to be Democratic
- VP Menon, the Civil Servant who Held India Together
- Nicole Hemmer on Alex Jones and the Right-Wing Media Machine