SOURCE: Financial Times
The National Trust Must Update its Idea of What Makes History and Speak in Multiple Voices
by Neil MacGregor
Neither preserving sites of national glory nor stripping them of honor represents the true mission of the National Trust as a preserver of British history for the public.
SOURCE: The New Yorker
Britain’s Idyllic Country Houses Reveal a Darker History
About a third of the historic homes managed by Britain's National Trust have been linked to fortunes made through slavery and colonialism. The agency's efforts to present this history has been controversial.
SOURCE: The Guardian
The National Trust is under Attack Because it Cares about History, not Fantasy
by Peter Mitchell
Britain's historic preservation agency has become the target of conservative politicians who have interpreted the Trust's commissioning of a report evaluating the relationship of its projects to slavery as an attack on the nation's historical identity.
SOURCE: New York Times
U.K. Conservation Society Details Links to Colonialism and Slavery
The British historic preservation agency has begun to grapple with how to present the historic connections between properties it manages and fortunes built through slavery and colonialism.
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of