Young Faculty Refusing the "Free Labor" Their Predecessors Performed Have Their Reasons
by John Warner
Faculty used to operate in a gift economy of unpaid labor supporting peer review, journal editing, and writing letters for tenure reviews. Now that institutions have withdrawn the possibility of that work being cashed in for job security, why should any faculty bother with it?
SOURCE: Washington Post
With Students Back on Campus, Faculty Push Back Against COVID Policies They Consider Inadequate
"Many are enjoying seeing students back on campus. But for others those scenes are fraught."
I'm a Black Woman Who's Met All the Standards for Promotion. I'm Not Waiting to Reward Myself
by Koritha Mitchell
A professor approaching promotion says that racism and sexism in the academy presents psychological burdens that women faculty of color must overcome by practicing purposeful self-care and not waiting for external validation.
SOURCE: The Ithacan
Commentary: A Farewell to Ithaca College after 18 Years
by Sandra Steingraber
The vulnerability of non-tenure track faculty to budget cuts and layoffs means that the interdisciplinary expertise universities need to sustain important and innovative initiatives is in jeopardy.
SOURCE: Chronicle of Higher Education
Will Covid-19 Revive Faculty Power?
Will the COVID crisis be the moment that seals the power of trustees, donors and administrators over universities organized like corporations, or will faculty organize to reassert shared governance?
- Chair of Florida Charter School Board on Firing of Principal: About Policy, Not David Statue
- Graduate Student Strikes Fight Back Against Decades of Austerity, Seek to Revive Opportunity
- When Right Wingers Struggle with Defining "Woke" it Shows they Oppose Pursuing Equality
- Strangelove on the Square: Secret USAF Films Showed Airmen What to Expect if Nuclear War Broke Out
- The Women of the Montgomery Bus Boycott
- New Books Force Consideration of Reconstruction's End from Black Perspective
- Excerpt: How Apartheid South Africa Tried to Create a Libertarian Utopia
- Historian's Book on 1970s NBA Shows Racial Politics around Basketball Have Always Been Ugly
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History