SOURCE: The Dispatch
by David French
Tribalism affected both abolitionists and Confederates during the Civil War. How does it impact modern politics?
SOURCE: Black Perspectives
by Tyler Parry
In leaving a record of their trauma, the formerly enslaved invite their readers to approach the emotional histories of those trapped in antebellum slavery.
The register’s written entries on the plantations tend to say almost nothing about the enslaved people.
- Boston Refused to Close Schools During the 1918 Flu. Then Children Began to Die
- Trump Won’t Win by Doubling-Down on his Racist Appeals but the Right’s Open Bigotry Comes at a Cost
- What to Stream: A Blazing Interview with Orson Welles By Richard Brody
- Trump’s Attack on the Postal Service Is a Threat to Democracy—and to Rural America
- Kamala Harris and the Growing Political Power of Black Women