Why NYT v. Sullivan Matters More than Ever
Conservative politicians want to use libel laws to intimidate critics. One Supreme Court case stands in their way.
SOURCE: The Atlantic
The Right Wants to Gut Press Libel Protections; Dominion Voting Systems Suit Shows They Might Regret it
The libel standards established by New York Times v. Sullivan are a target for conservatives who loathe the media. If they had their way Fox News would be in big trouble.
SOURCE: Made By History at the Washington Post
A Major Supreme Court First Amendment Decision Could Be At Risk
by Samantha Barbas
The "actual malice" standard of proof in libel suits established by New York Times v. Sullivan is an imperfect fit for the social media age, but right-wing calls to overturn the ruling would allow the rich and powerful to bully the press with expensive lawsuits.
SOURCE: Associated Press
Holocaust Scholars Ordered to Apologize in Polish Libel Case
"The Polish League Against Defamation is ideologically aligned with the country’s ruling party, and the scholars see that as an indication the case is part of a government-backed effort to promote its historical narrative."
Palin v. New York Times is a Textualist Land Mine for the First Amendment
by Richard E. Labunski
In June, trial will begin in Sarah Palin's libel case against the New York Times. The case appears to be teed up on a path to the Supreme Court, where the current "actual malice" standard for proving a public figure was libeled could be overturned. If this happens, the door will be open to lawsuits aimed at crushing press criticism of the government.
SOURCE: Washington Post
A newspaper accused the president’s family of profiting from a foreign deal. The president sued.
No, not Trump. Teddy Roosevelt.
- Chair of Florida Charter School Board on Firing of Principal: About Policy, Not David Statue
- Graduate Student Strikes Fight Back Against Decades of Austerity, Seek to Revive Opportunity
- When Right Wingers Struggle with Defining "Woke" it Shows they Oppose Pursuing Equality
- Strangelove on the Square: Secret USAF Films Showed Airmen What to Expect if Nuclear War Broke Out
- The Women of the Montgomery Bus Boycott
- New Books Force Consideration of Reconstruction's End from Black Perspective
- Excerpt: How Apartheid South Africa Tried to Create a Libertarian Utopia
- Historian's Book on 1970s NBA Shows Racial Politics around Basketball Have Always Been Ugly
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History