Historian Kelly Lytle Hernández Teams Up with New LA City Councilors to Review City's History
A historian and two recently-elected progressive city council members teamed up to tour the sites of the city's community of Mexican revolutionaries in exile, asking how the past can inform social movements today.
SOURCE: The New Yorker
How the US Thwarted Radical Revolution in Mexico
by Geraldo Cadava
Kelly Lytle-Hernandez's new book examines the cross-border politics of the Mexican revolution and the role of elites on both sides in squelching a radical movement challenging elite rule in Mexico.
SOURCE: Minnesota Public Radio
Kelly Lytle Hernández on the Linked Histories of Mexico and the US
"Many Americans don’t know that the histories of the United States and Mexico are inseparably intertwined. But historian Kelly Lytle Hernández says you cannot fully understand one without the other."
SOURCE: Boston Review
Review: Kelly Lytle Hernandez Shows There is No US History Without Mexican History
by Jonna Perrillo
The political upheaval of the Mexican revolution affected the politics of ethnic Mexicans on both sides of the border and transformed the political relations between both governments and the transnational working classes of the border region.
SOURCE: The Guardian
Pancho Villa, My Grandmother, and the Revolutionary History of the Border
by Carlos Sanchez
Conflicting family and neighborhood stories about the life of Pancho Villa – bandit or revolutionary? – showed the author how little of the complexity of the Mexican Revolution and the experiences of ethnic Mexican people made it into his school books in El Paso. Will new Texas laws push this knowledge back into the shadows?
'I Cry All the Time.' A Century After 15 Mexican Men and Boys Were Massacred in Texas, Their Descendants Want Recognition
by Jasmine Aguilera
A century after a massacre of Mexican men by white Texans, these families are speaking up and telling the world what happened.
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of