by Perry Greene
Nike dropped its Air Max USA 1 shoe after former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick worried that the “Betsy Ross” flag design harkens back to an era of black slavery and has been used by white nationalist groups.
SOURCE: The Washington Post
July 4, 2019
A rare female icon of the Revolutionary War, she is credited with creating the first American flag.
An American flag featuring a 13-star circle was at the epicenter of controversy after Nike decided to stop the release of a sneaker featuring the symbol.
SOURCE: Wall Street Journal
Sneaker maker pulls Independence Day-themed shoe after NFL star raised concerns about symbolism
- The Danger Of Depoliticising Black Power Activism
- Trump Wants $5 Billion From TikTok Deal for History Project
- Donald Trump vs. the Ivy League: An Election-Year Battle
- How Jimi Hendrix, Racism and Grunge Intersect, 50 Years after the Guitarist’s Death
- Conservatives Are Already Whitewashing the Trump Years
- Capitalism Isn't Working Anymore. Here's How The Pandemic Could Change It Forever
- How the Black Vote Became a Monolith
- Dive Into John F. Kennedy’s Daily CIA Updates
- “Nationalism Will Run Roughshod Over Democracy”: What Can Nazi Germany Tell Us About Trump’s GOP? (Podcast)
- Stephen F. Cohen, Influential Historian of Russia, Dies at 81