SOURCE: The New Yorker
How Black Feminists Defined Abortion Rights
by Keeanga-Yamahtta Taylor
Arguments in the Dobbs case have privileged the concerns of affluent, professional women – hardly the Mississippians whose lives will be affected by the state's draconian abortion bans. The abortion rights movement needs to return to its roots in racial and economic justice.
Before the Pussy Hats: Stitching Together the Recent Feminist Movement
by Rachel F. Seidman
Today's feminist movement has a history. They rely on networks, relationships, and lessons learned from decades of movement building.
Gloria Steinem, the Women’s Movement and a Big Question
by Bruce Chadwick
Gloria, A Life, the new play by Emily Mann about women’s rights activist Gloria Steinem leaves a big, big question.
SOURCE: The Atlantic
When American Suffragists Tried to ‘Wear the Pants’
by Kimberly Chrisman-Campbell
Starting in the 1850s, proponents of the movement for women’s rights traded their long dresses for bloomers—and paid a heavy social price for it.
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of