SOURCE: Religion Dispatches
"Under the Banner" Improves, but Doesn't Sanitize, Book's Reductive History of Mormonism
by Benjamin E. Park
The new series raises questions about America's homegrown faith, and shakes off some of the source book's post-9/11 concerns with extremism and religious violence to show the complexity among different tendencies and branches of the faith.
SOURCE: Salt Lake Tribune
Utah Women’s Suffrage Became ‘Hotly Debated Issue’ in Bid for Statehood
It was "really a fight" for women in Utah to regain their voting rights in 1895, says history professor Kathryn MacKay.
SOURCE: Washington Post
Utah women had the right to vote long before others — and then had it taken away
by Katherine Kitterman
As we remember the 19th Amendment, we shouldn’t forget what came before it.
Historians Struggle to Understand Oral History Written in Forgotten Shorthand
The 1951 transcription is written in a decades-old shorthand style that few people use today. “It’s definitely a lost art,” Langsdon said.
Jane Manning James and African American Women in the Mormon Church
by Quincy D. Newell
Jane Elizabeth Manning James, a free black woman who converted to Mormonism in the early 1840s, provides a little-known vantage point from which to tell a story of Mormonism that takes the church’s racial history into account.
- Chair of Florida Charter School Board on Firing of Principal: About Policy, Not David Statue
- Graduate Student Strikes Fight Back Against Decades of Austerity, Seek to Revive Opportunity
- When Right Wingers Struggle with Defining "Woke" it Shows they Oppose Pursuing Equality
- Strangelove on the Square: Secret USAF Films Showed Airmen What to Expect if Nuclear War Broke Out
- The Women of the Montgomery Bus Boycott
- New Books Force Consideration of Reconstruction's End from Black Perspective
- Excerpt: How Apartheid South Africa Tried to Create a Libertarian Utopia
- Historian's Book on 1970s NBA Shows Racial Politics around Basketball Have Always Been Ugly
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History