SOURCE: Vanity Fair
The Rise and Fall of Jerry Falwell Jr. at Liberty U.
The ousted leader speaks to reporter Gabriel Sherman about the scandal and meltdown that ended his leadership of an evangelical empire.
SOURCE: New York Magazine
Who's Afraid of Higher Education?
The splashy launch of the University of Austin concept echoes the establishment a half-century ago of evangelical conservative colleges; despite the claim to value free speech, the institutions seek to avoid intellectual turbulence and conflict.
SOURCE: Made By History at The Washington Post
Two Visions of Higher Education Illuminate the Chasm between Harris and Pence
by Marybeth Gasman and Adam Laats
The Vice Presidential candidates' university affiliations--Harris's attendance at Howard and membership in a prominent Black sorority, and Pence's political affinity for Liberty University--show that both HBCUs and Evangelical colleges are important and politically significant parts of the American higher education system.
SOURCE: The Way of Improvement Leads Home
The Last Fundamentalist Empire Died Yesterday in Lynchburg, Virginia
by John Fea
Although he oversaw tremendous growth at Liberty University and tried to lead in the culture wars, Jerry Falwell Jr. was unable to maintain credibility as a faith leader necessary to hold his empire. It's unclear whether any evangelical organization can succeed as a business and a theological enterprise.
SOURCE: New York Times
After Falwell Stumbles, His Hometown Sees a Leader in Need of Redemption
Historians of religion including Grant Wacker, Anthea Butler and John Fea comment on the significance of Jerry Falwell, Jr.'s recent public scandals and the position of Liberty University in the evangelical world.
SOURCE: Washington Post
An Authoritarian Power Structure Brought Coronavirus to Liberty University
by Adam Laats
How one-man rule emerged at fundamentalist colleges and universities.
The Notre Dame and Harvard of the Christian World?
by Adam Laats
That was the dream for Liberty University at its founding.
- Chair of Florida Charter School Board on Firing of Principal: About Policy, Not David Statue
- Graduate Student Strikes Fight Back Against Decades of Austerity, Seek to Revive Opportunity
- When Right Wingers Struggle with Defining "Woke" it Shows they Oppose Pursuing Equality
- Strangelove on the Square: Secret USAF Films Showed Airmen What to Expect if Nuclear War Broke Out
- The Women of the Montgomery Bus Boycott
- New Books Force Consideration of Reconstruction's End from Black Perspective
- Excerpt: How Apartheid South Africa Tried to Create a Libertarian Utopia
- Historian's Book on 1970s NBA Shows Racial Politics around Basketball Have Always Been Ugly
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History