Originally published 05/05/2015
California, home to the largest number of American Indians in the country, is for the third time considering legislation that would end the use of “Redskins” as a school team name or mascot.
Originally published 05/04/2015
In an interview Jennifer Guiliano, author of "Indian Spectacle: College Mascots and the Anxiety of Modern America," says "there lingers this intense community obsession."
Originally published 06/25/2013
Despite strong opposition from local residents, an Oregon school board voted unanimously to drop a high school’s “Redskins” name and mascot after nearly ninety years.Dozens of students and community leaders crowded into Port Townsend High School’s auditorium late Monday and told the Port Townsend School Board they wanted to keep the mascot. Those comments angered Frank Boushie, a Native American who moved to Washington state three decades ago, Q13Fox.com reports.“It was so racist in there, it was unbelievable,” he said. “They just don’t get it.”...
Originally published 02/12/2013
Ellen J. Staurowsky: U.S. Office for Civil Rights Asked to Ban American Indian Mascots in Michigan Public Schools
Dr. Ellen J. Staurowsky is presently a professor in the Department of Sport Management in the Goodwin College of Professional Studies at Drexel University.
Originally published 02/07/2013
WASHINGTON — The Washington Redskins’ team name has been the subject of legal battles, political debate and now will be part of a scholarly discussion at the Smithsonian about the use of Native American mascots and nicknames in American sports.The National Museum of the American Indian will host a daylong symposium Thursday entitled “Racist Stereotypes and Cultural Appropriation in American Sports.” Scholars, sports writers and Native Americans will gather for the public discussion.The Redskins’ name, perhaps the most visible, has been the subject of ongoing debate. As recently as Tuesday night, Washington Mayor Vincent Gray specifically avoided saying the name of Washington’s NFL franchise in his State of the District speech and instead referred to “our Washington football team.”...
- Poland puts Berlin's WWII bill at 440 billion euros
- The five Sullivan brothers, serving together, were killed in World War II. Their ship was just found.
- Historian H.R. McMaster out, John Bolton is in
- Polish attorney general’s office calls Holocaust law unconstitutional
- Will Trump break American democracy?
- Last Fall This Scholar Defended Colonialism. Now He’s Defending Himself.
- Jim Loewen is helping teachers teach difficult historical topics tied to race relations
- Historian (and US Senator) Ben Sasse writing book on polarization
- Historian: The Heavy Burden of Teaching My Son About American Racism
- Teachers are using ‘Black Panther’ to discuss African colonialism and American racism