SOURCE: New York Times
Historian Larry Glickman's work shows that Joe Manchin's fear of "entitlements" is part of a longstanding idea that American capitalism can't work without the threat of poverty and immiseration.
SOURCE: The Atlantic
by Julian E. Zelizer
Republicans are hoping to use the deficits created by their own tax cuts to slash the social safety net—but they may end up setting the stage for tax hikes instead.
- Eastern Europe Brought Soccer Into the Modern Age. Why is it a Wasteland Now?
- Ties Documented Between Legal Activist Challenging Affirmative Action and White Nationalists
- Work More, Consume Less: The Coercive Nature of Austerity Politics
- Will the Philadelphia Museum Strike Change an Industry?
- Qatar Isn't The First Regime to Polish its Image With a World Cup