by Catherine Devlin
It is impossible not to compare today’s billionaire space race to the iconic celestial competition of the 1960’s. But what if neither is worthy of adulation?
SOURCE: The Atlantic
The goal for the Cold War rivals was the same: to prove that animals could survive in orbit so that people could, too. But why did the Soviets use dogs, while the Americans used primates?
Declassified documents show that intelligence officers, and President Eisenhower, knew that the Soviet Union was close to launching a man-made satellite.
“The Russians have won the race. The entire world is following the satellite’s flight around the Earth,” Communist Party mouthpiece Pravda declared.
- 1957 Jerry Jones Photo Shows How Close The Past Really Is
- "Nutcracker" Rooted in Dark Parts of Russian History
- Black Germans Hope to Change Name of Berlin's "Uncle Tom's Cabin" Metro Station
- DeSantis-Backed School Boards Flex Power to Oust District Leaders
- Separating Good and Silly Criticism of FIRE in the Campus Speech Debate