by David J. Silverman
Americans tend to view the Thanksgiving myth as harmless, but it is loaded with fraught ideological meaning.
SOURCE: The New York Times
August 4, 2019
by Kathleen Belew
Attacks like that in El Paso are not an end in themselves. They are a call to arms, toward something much more frightening.
SOURCE: Inside Higher Ed
by Jonathan Zimmerman
Outrage does not and cannot refute what she said -- only facts can do that.
SOURCE: The Chronicle of Higher Education
While medievalists battle, white nationalists try to co-opt the past.
SOURCE: Washington Post
Brenton Tarrant covered his arsenal with symbols and names that medieval historians say are being misused by white supremacists.
SOURCE: The Washington Post
by Andrew Lawler
Virginia Dare and the myth of American whiteness.
by Jeremy Best
"When we use the tools we possess as historians, many of our students listen, especially when we treat them with a respectful openness to discussion and debate. This is truly something white nationalists are unable to counter."
by Linda Gordon
She decided to turn a chapter she was writing on the Second KKK into a book.
SOURCE: Time Magazine
by Arica L. Coleman
Blaming 'Bad Dudes' Masks the Role of Women in the History of White Nationalism
- The Titanic Wreck Will Now Be Protected Under a 'Momentous Agreement' With the U.S.
- Arrested for having sex with men, this gay civil rights leader could finally be pardoned in California
- Ancient aboriginal aquaculture system older than Stonehenge uncovered by Australia wildfires
- How the Government Came to Decide the Color of Your Food
- In 1851, a Maryland Farmer Tried to Kidnap Free Blacks in Pennsylvania. He Wasn’t Expecting the Neighborhood to Fight Back
- The Way We Write History Has Changed
- Rethinking How We Train Historians
- Building a digital archive for decaying paper documents, preserving centuries of records about enslaved people
- The Radical Lives of Abolitionists
- National Security Archive Releases USCYBERCOM documents which shed new light on the campaign to counter ISIS in cyberspace