SOURCE: Linn’s Stamp News
by Ken Lawrence
Learning about the exceptional life and tragic death of David T. Latimer, the brave lad who built America’s oldest surviving stamp collection.
SOURCE: Linn's Stamp News
by Ken Lawrence
Calbraith Perry Rodgers performed one of the greatest feats in early aviation history when he completed the first transcontinental trip by air from Sept. 17 to Nov. 5, 1911.
Hundreds of people, including some of Michigan's political elite, gathered Monday to celebrate the late Rosa Parks on what would have been her 100th birthday by unveiling a postage stamp in her honor steps from the Alabama bus on which she stared down segregation nearly 60 years ago.Parks, who died in 2005, became one of the enduring figures of the Civil Rights movement when she refused to cede her seat in the colored section of the Montgomery, Ala., bus to a white man after the whites-only section filled up. Her defiance and the ensuing black boycott of the city bus system helped the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. rise to national prominence...The Parks stamp is the second in a set of civil rights stamps being issued this year by the U.S. Postal Service.USPS launched the series Jan. 1 with the Emancipation Proclamation Forever Stamp, which was issued at The National Archives in Washington. In August, the series will culminate with the dedication of a stamp recognizing the 50th anniversary of the historic March on Washington...
- 15 States Have Postponed Their Primaries Because of Coronavirus. Here’s a List.
- The Hot & Bothered Podcast: Beyond the New Deal
- Generations of Rosewood Descendants Keep a Once-Forgotten History Alive
- From Afar, Congress Moves to Oversee Trump Coronavirus Response
- A 200-Foot Section of the Berlin Wall Has Been Torn Down to Make Way for Condos, Leaving Historians Appalled
- After Reparations
- Will Coronavirus Change How We Think About Climate Change?
- David C. Driskell, Tireless Advocate for Black Art History, Is Dead at 88
- NCMC Mourns the Loss of Longtime Professor Who Died Due to COVID-19
- The US Government Has a Long History of Using Crises to Justify Indefinite Mass Detention