SOURCE: The Atlantic
Why Does US Policy Make Things Hard on Parents?
For decades, the political idea that social services aimed at supporting parents and children constitute a governmental intrusion on the family has been used to thwart the kinds of supports that parents and children in the rest of the industrial world enjoy.
SOURCE: Made By History at the Washington Post
Dorothy Pitman Hughes’s Activism Offers a Solution for the Coronavirus Gender Gap
by Laura L. Lovett
Dorothy Pitman Hughes' experience running a community childcare center highlighted not just the needs of working women, but the ways that childcare challenges were connected to all the big issues of the society. If we want a more just society today, Hughes' example and the COVID crisis show us where to look.
SOURCE: Made By History at The Washington Post
Suffrage Movement Convinced Women They Could ‘Have It All’
by Allison K. Lange
Suffragists exploited the ideology of female domesticity to argue that the vote would make women the nation's mothers and housekeepers. COVID-19 has exposed the consequences of this strategy as women are unsupported in meeting obligations for paid and domestic labor.
Wanted: A Civilian Coronavirus Corps
by Jonathan Zimmerman
We already have a template for it: the original CCC.
SOURCE: Washington Post
With Schools and Daycare Closed, the Coronavirus is Worsening Women’s Inequality
by Lisa Levenstein
The paucity of policy support for childbirth and care work are the result of a system that still envisions the ideal worker as a man.
Are We Raising Our Children Wrong?
by Michael C. C. Adams
This military historian worries we are. The dedication he found in soldiers seems missing in today’s children.
- Will a "No Labels" Campaign Wreck the 2024 Election? We Can't Ask Group's Secret Donors.
- Excerpts from a Civics Textbook I Assume Would be Welcome in Florida
- Confusion Over Book Bans in Florida is a Feature, Not a Bug, of New Policies
- We're Living in the World (un)Made by the Iraq War
- Florida Professor: I was Fired for Teaching about Racism
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History
- Why are Universities so Disrespectful of their Organized Workers?
- Aside from Bush and Cheney, Who's Most Responsible for Iraq?
- Leaked Emails Show Christian Nationalist Anti-Trans "Holy War"