SOURCE: The Atlantic
For decades, the political idea that social services aimed at supporting parents and children constitute a governmental intrusion on the family has been used to thwart the kinds of supports that parents and children in the rest of the industrial world enjoy.
SOURCE: Made By History at the Washington Post
by Laura L. Lovett
Dorothy Pitman Hughes' experience running a community childcare center highlighted not just the needs of working women, but the ways that childcare challenges were connected to all the big issues of the society. If we want a more just society today, Hughes' example and the COVID crisis show us where to look.
SOURCE: Made By History at The Washington Post
by Allison K. Lange
Suffragists exploited the ideology of female domesticity to argue that the vote would make women the nation's mothers and housekeepers. COVID-19 has exposed the consequences of this strategy as women are unsupported in meeting obligations for paid and domestic labor.
by Jonathan Zimmerman
We already have a template for it: the original CCC.
SOURCE: Washington Post
by Lisa Levenstein
The paucity of policy support for childbirth and care work are the result of a system that still envisions the ideal worker as a man.
by Michael C. C. Adams
This military historian worries we are. The dedication he found in soldiers seems missing in today’s children.
- What Happens When SCOTUS is This Unpopular?
- Eve Babitz's Archive Reveals the Person Behind the Persona
- Making a Uranium Ghost Town
- Choosing History—A Rejoinder to William Baude on The Use of History at SCOTUS
- Alexandria, VA Freedom House Museum Reopens, Making Key Site of Slave Trade a Center for Black History
- Primary Source: Winning World War 1 By Fighting Waste at the Grocery Counter
- The Presidential Records Act Explains How the FBI Knew What to Search For at Mar-a-Lago
- Theocracy Now! The Forgotten Influence of L. Brent Bozell on the Right
- Janice Longone, Chronicler of American Food Traditions
- Revisiting Lady Rochford and Her Alleged Betrayal of Anne Boleyn