SOURCE: Inside Higher Ed
Controversial Stanford "Academic Freedom" Panel Proceeds
"While many other speakers described higher education’s commitment to the pursuit of truth as fading, the conference was heavy on anecdotes and speculative diagnostics relative to clear data."
SOURCE: Perspectives on History
American Antisemitism and Nationalism in the Charlottesville Verdict
by Victoria Saker Woeste
The awarding of $25 million in damages from the organizers of the Unite the Right rally to nine people injured in the violence are not enough of a penalty to stop the political mobilization of antisemitism in the new white nationalist coalition.
SOURCE: The Washington Post
The key to defeating the far right’s online hate
by Michelle Kelley
“History provides lessons on how to pit popular culture against Internet hate speech and racist propaganda.”
SOURCE: Inside Higher Ed
A classicist objects to the classics being used to justify misogyny
In her new book Donna Zuckerberg explains how the Alt-Right have adopted the classics and why.
The Alt-Right’s Asian Fetish
by Audrea Lim
How the 'Model minority" myth blends with racist ideology.
SOURCE: New Republic
University History Departments Have a Race Problem
by Josephine Livingstone
The alt right is appropriating medieval studies and classical scholarship. What can academics do to stop them?
Lessons from German History after Charlottesville
by Jeffrey Herf
What we do – and do not – have to worry about.
No, Mr. President. This Is Not an Issue with “Many Sides”
by Ed Simon
Once again Donald Trump caters to the white racists who helped elect him.
Salon suggests Paul Gottfried, "a retired Jewish political historian,” was a founder of the Alt-Right
It was Gottfried who coined the term Alt-Right. (He also came up with Paleoconservative.)
SOURCE: The Conversation
The seeds of the alt-right, America’s emergent right-wing populist movement
by George Michael
How did the movement gain traction in recent years? And now that Trump has won, could the alt-right change the American political landscape?
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of