Originally published 04/23/2018
When he promised to put America first in his inaugural speech, Donald Trump drew on a slogan with a long and sinister history – a sign of what was to follow in his presidency.
Originally published 03/07/2018
Julia G. Young
Proud of their own ancestors migration to America, they’re quick to condemn Mexicans who are coming here.
Originally published 11/03/2017
Requiring displays of patriotism have often been tied to nativism and bigotry.
Originally published 11/17/2016
“It tends to be lack of familiarity with immigrants that breeds nativism.” — Tyler Anbinder, professor of history, George Washington University
- Charleston Apologizes for City’s Role in Slave Trade
- With 'America First,' Trump Challenges The World Constructed After World War II
- Newly Discovered ‘Limb Pit’ Reveals Civil War Surgeons’ Bitter Choices
- Mark Twain Claimed He Got His Pen Name From a Riverboat Captain
- The story of the slave trade’s last survivor
- Parents, Teachers, Legislators Support Reinstating Passage of U.S. History Test as High School Graduation Requirement in Massachusetts
- Mary Beard on big thinkers and 'sexist rants’
- If postwar history starts in 1951, did the UK Tories ‘blue-wash’ the A-level syllabus?
- Daniel Pipes predicts chaos in the Middle East as countries turn away from fossil fuels
- Stanley Fish says historians are deluded in thinking their training gives them special insights in politics that should be passed on to students (and others)