Originally published 12/22/2017
The presidency survived the Watergate, Iran-contra and Clinton scandals. Trump will exact a higher toll.
Histories of past presidential scandals reveal common threads and turning points -- but also show how Trump stands alone.
Originally published 07/14/2017
This is the first presidential scandal involving a foreign government interfering with our election process and possible collusion by the man who won the election.
Originally published 05/16/2017
The idea that at some point party loyalty goes out the window and politicians become nonpartisan statesmen doesn’t hold up historically.
Originally published 10/26/2016
On the 30th anniversary, we can see that it was an ideological project, with the New Right reasserting the righteousness of militarism and markets.
- Polish attorney general’s office calls Holocaust law unconstitutional
- Will Trump break American democracy?
- The Rothschilds, a pamphlet by ‘Satan’ and anti-Semitic conspiracy theories tied to a battle 200 years ago
- How Smithsonian Helped Solve the Twitter Mystery of the Unknown Woman Scientist
- It’s Disturbingly Easy to Buy Iraq’s Archeological Treasures
- Last Fall This Scholar Defended Colonialism. Now He’s Defending Himself.
- Jim Loewen is helping teachers teach difficult historical topics tied to race relations
- Historian (and US Senator) Ben Sasse writing book on polarization
- Historian: The Heavy Burden of Teaching My Son About American Racism
- Teachers are using ‘Black Panther’ to discuss African colonialism and American racism