SOURCE: Business Insider
Democrats May Beat Trump in November and Still not Learn the Most Important Lesson from his Presidency
by Daniel Bessner
Democrats must not just defeat Trump; they must commit to fighting a culture of elite impunity that has enabled the rise of Trump and an unaccountable Republican Party.
by Jeffrey J. Matthews
Powell’s outstanding service as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff notwithstanding, the perpetual lionizing of the general has had the effect of misbalancing the historical record. Despite of—or because of—his popularity and patriotic achievements, Powell has not been held to account for some of his major failings as a public servant.
by Teresa Meade
His career stretches back through some of the most sordid instances of US intervention and brutality.
SOURCE: CBS News
"We are not focused on the events of the 1980s. We are focused on the events of 2019."
by Jeffrey J. Matthews
And what it means for George H.W. Bush's legacy.
SOURCE: The Washington Post
The presidency survived the Watergate, Iran-contra and Clinton scandals. Trump will exact a higher toll.
by Carlos Lozada
Histories of past presidential scandals reveal common threads and turning points -- but also show how Trump stands alone.
by Donne Levy
This is the first presidential scandal involving a foreign government interfering with our election process and possible collusion by the man who won the election.
The idea that at some point party loyalty goes out the window and politicians become nonpartisan statesmen doesn’t hold up historically.
SOURCE: The Nation
by Greg Grandin
On the 30th anniversary, we can see that it was an ideological project, with the New Right reasserting the righteousness of militarism and markets.
- Sen. Hawley: Public Schools Must Make Kids Love America and the Founding
- Texas Teachers: Law Will Put Entire Generation in the Dark
- The Hiawatha Asylum: The Threat Behind Indian Boarding Schools
- Iraq Reclaims 17,000 Looted Artifacts, Its Biggest-Ever Repatriation
- How to Make Jim Jordan Talk about January 6? Ask Jefferson Davis
- Are the Democrats About to Repeat Mistakes that Led to Jim Crow?
- The Customer is Always Insufferable? The History of Today's Beleaguered Service Worker
- Historian Rebecca Hall's New Graphic Novel Highlights Women's Role in Slave Revolts
- New Book of Family History Recreates the Anti-Nazi Resistance in Germany
- Gloria Ratti: Historian of the Boston Marathon Who Made History Herself