More Noted Things
For the latest on the Irish Republican Army/Boston College oral history scandal, see: "Called to Account," Chris Bray, 26 February; Questions over exactly who made money from the book ‘Voices from the Grave'," RTE radio, 25 February; transcript, Boston College Subpeona News, 26 February; Travis Anderson, "2 at BC profited from book based on Troubles tapes," Boston Globe, 27 February; and Ed Moloney, "RTE Exposes Shenanigans And Falsehoods At Boston College," The Broken Elbow, 28 February.
Toby Wilkinson reviews Joyce Tyldesley's Tutankhamen's Curse: The developing history of an Egyptian king for the Guardian, 24 February.
Christopher Caldwell, "Bring Out the Spanish Tickler," Literary Review, February, reviews Cullen Murphy's God's Jury: The Inquisition and the Making of the Modern World.
Richard S. Wortman, "Great Catherine's Many Dimensions," National Interest, 28 February, reviews Robert K. Massie's Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman.
Kathryn Hughes reviews Peter Ackroyd's Wilkie Collins for the Guardian, 22 February.
Paul Bew, "One Day in Derry," Literary Review, February, reviews Douglas Murray's Bloody Sunday: Truths, Lies and the Saville Inquiry.
Michael Korda, "Peter Caddick-Adams's Dual Biography of Rommel and Montgomery Is Doubly Good," Daily Beast, 28 February, reviews Caddick-Adams's Monty and Rommel -- Parallel Lives.
Joshua Yaffa, "The Indignity of Labor," The Book, 28 February, reviews Fyodor Vasilevich Mochulsky's Gulag Boss: A Soviet Memoir, trans. & ed. by Deborah Kaple.
Donald Rayfield, "Menace in Minsk," Literary Review, February, reviews Andrew Wilson's Belarus: The Last European Dictatorship.
Marc Parry, "A Digital Humanist Puts New Tools in the Hands of Scholars," CHE, 26 February, features GMU's Dan Cohen.
Michael Kazin, "Why Don't Liberals Write Big Books Any More?" TNR, 28 February, asks where are today's James Baldwins, Rachel Carsons, Michael Harringtons, and Jane Jacobses.
comments powered by Disqus
- Warming is Clearly Visible in New US ‘Climate Normal’ Datasets
- Open Letter in Support of Free Inquiry and Discussion
- Melting Glaciers Have Exposed Frozen Relics of World War I
- The Stealth Sticker Campaign to Expose New York’s History of Slavery
- We Found the Textbooks of Senators Who Oppose The 1619 Project and Suddenly Everything Makes Sense
- How the Modern NRA Was Born at the Border
- Event: A War on Global Poverty: The Lost Promise of Redistribution and the Rise of Microcredit with Joanne Meyerowitz (5/17)
- A Texas Bill Drew Ire for Saying it Would Preserve ‘Purity of the Ballot Box.’ Here’s the Phrase’s History
- How Trump Ignited the Fight over Critical Race Theory in Schools
- Hamilton, Hip-Hop, and the Law (Review)