Notes Ancient & Modern
Tracy Lee Simmons reviews John M. Barry's Roger Williams and the Creation of the American Soul: Church, State, and the Birth of Liberty for the Washington Post, 3 February. Lucy Worsley, "First Stirrings," Financial Times, 3 February, reviews Faramerz Dabhoiwala's The Origins of Sex: A History of the First Sexual Revolution. Frances Wilson, "Jokes of Old," Literary Review, February, reviews Simon Dickie's Cruelty & Laughter: Forgotten Comic Literature and the Unsentimental Eighteenth Century. The new Common-Place is up. Its theme is "Scientific Americans" in the 18th & 19th centuries.
Joanna Scutts reviews John Matteson's The Lives of Margaret Fuller for the Washington Post, 3 February.
Pankaj Mishra, "Orwell's heir?" Prospect, 25 January, Neal Ascherson for the Guardian, 2 February, and Francis Fukuyama, "One Man's History," NYT, 3 February, review Tony Judt's Thinking the Twentieth Century. Adam Kirsch, "Half Human," The Book, 1 February, reviews Michael Hofmann, ed. & trans., Joseph Roth: A Life in Letters. Daisy Banks interviews "Paul Preston on the Spanish Civil War" for his recommendations of five essential books on the subject. John Spurling, "The Aftermath," The Book, 1 February, reviews Kwasi Kwarteng's Ghosts of Empire: Britain's Legacy in the Modern World.
Perry Anderson, "Sino-Americana," LRB, 9 February, reviews Ezra Vogel's Deng Xiaoping and the Transformation of China, Henry Kissinger's On China, and Jay Taylor's The Generalissimo: Chiang Kai-shek and the Struggle for Modern China.
comments powered by Disqus
- Warming is Clearly Visible in New US ‘Climate Normal’ Datasets
- Open Letter in Support of Free Inquiry and Discussion
- Melting Glaciers Have Exposed Frozen Relics of World War I
- The Stealth Sticker Campaign to Expose New York’s History of Slavery
- We Found the Textbooks of Senators Who Oppose The 1619 Project and Suddenly Everything Makes Sense
- How the Modern NRA Was Born at the Border
- Event: A War on Global Poverty: The Lost Promise of Redistribution and the Rise of Microcredit with Joanne Meyerowitz (5/17)
- A Texas Bill Drew Ire for Saying it Would Preserve ‘Purity of the Ballot Box.’ Here’s the Phrase’s History
- How Trump Ignited the Fight over Critical Race Theory in Schools
- Hamilton, Hip-Hop, and the Law (Review)