Historians' Petition: HNN's Coverage
- The Historians' Petition
- Breaking News Related to the Historians' Petition
- Signers of the Historians' Petition
- HNN Readers' Comments on the Petition
- Press Release Announcing Petition Presentation to Congress
- Joyce Appleby: Why We Began a Petition to Congress
- Joyce Appleby and Ellen Carol Dubois: War Issue Imperils Constitution (LA Times op ed)
- TomPaine.com advertisement on the op-ed page of the NYT 9-17-02
- Arthur Schlesinger, Jr.: The Immorality of Preventive War
comments powered by Disqus
David McKinney - 9/19/2002
Professor Zinn cogently explains why war is a bad thing in this case.
But I think Republican Ron Paul makes an even better line item by line item case against.
Texas Republican Rep. Ron Paul read the following to the House of Representatives, September 10, 2002.
Soon we hope to have hearings on the pending war with Iraq. Here are some questions I would like answered by those who are urging us to start this war:
1. Is it not true that the reason we did not bomb the Soviet Union at the height of the Cold War was because we knew they could retaliate?
2. Is it not also true that we are willing to bomb Iraq now because we know it cannot retaliate -- which just confirms that there is no real threat?
3. Is it not true that there are those who argue that even with inspections we cannot be sure that Hussein might be hiding weapons, and at the same time imply that we can be more sure that weapons exist in the absence of inspections?
4. Is it not true that the U.N.'s International Atomic Energy Agency was able to complete its yearly verification mission to Iraq just this year with Iraqi cooperation?
Hari Lubin - 9/17/2002
War will not solve anything and in fact will add to the desperation and feelings of hostility to the USA encouraging more acts of terrorism.
- Raw Fish and Tapeworms: Ancient Latrines Reveal the Diets of Our Ancestors
- Sam Houston Could Soon Be Getting His Own Presidential Library
- Trump delays release of some JFK assassination files until 2021, bowing to national security concerns
- A Lynching Memorial Is Opening. The Country HasNever Seen Anything Like It.
- Gina Haspel’s CIA Torture File
- Historian Erik Loomis makes the case for a federal jobs guarantee
- Michael Beschloss says this isn't the most politically divisive time in America
- This is what happened when a historian with a rural background wrote favorably about gun control in the Washington Post
- Is Economics Going Back To The 1800s? Maybe So.
- Historian: Why destroying archives is never a good idea