Understanding a Political Cartoon: Nast & ReconstructionHistorians in the News
tags: Reconstruction, teaching history, Thomas Nast, primary sources, Political Cartooning
Warning: this video includes violent and racist imagery
A conversation between Dr. Kimberly Kutz Elliott and Dr. Beth Harris on Thomas Nast's 1874 political cartoon, "The Union As It Was—Worse Than Slavery."
Thomas Nast, "The Union As It Was—Worse Than Slavery," 1874, wood engraving, illustration in Harper’s Weekly (October 24, 1874) (Library of Congress)
comments powered by Disqus
- Indentured Students: Elizabeth Tandy Shermer on Student Debt (Monday, October 4)
- The Last Good Neighbor: Mexico in the Global Sixties (Washington History Seminar, Mon. 9/27)
- Stoic Wisdom: Ancient Lessons for Modern Resilience (Thursday, 9/23)
- Traveling Black: Mia Bay Joins the Washington History Seminar, September 20
- Why are Historians Facing Online Abuse Over Whether Atlantis Existed?